Feb 27, 2009

TAB Adventure Builder

Infocom Games in a ChestApparently the days of professional level BASIC programming are far from over and the thinBasic, err, based TAB Adventure Builder is all the proof I need. Not that I've tried the thing yet mind, but it does seem quite impressive, easy to use and in the spirit of Gilsoft's classic game crafting utilities. It is thus a text-adventure/interactive-fiction creator sporting a variety of editors, some basic graphic capabilities and the ability to compile standalone distributable games.

The TAB Adventure Builder is happily freeware, runs on any Windows version you care to mention and is available here, complete with further info, screenshots, links, tutorials and some lovely demos.

9 comments:

  1. No OSX? Blaspheme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know. Apparently no Linux either, but I guess that being all blasphemous is a downhill road...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give it a whirl, but I'm hopeless at designing games.

    If I were to work on a game development team my ideal position would be writing the story. I like to think I have a wild imagination anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, thinking that I may actually be good at making a text adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you saved me the trouble of telling you that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, as soon as I wrote that first comment I knew I'd totally contradicted myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a weird creative person. Tsk.

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep hearing about this, but I don't actually know of any completed games that have been made with it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think you are right (as always I might add) on this dear Pacian. Then again TAB is quite a new set of tools and -importantly- Emily's Dream thoguh quite WIP seems rather promising.

    ReplyDelete